Homemade Spring pizza
A new pizza shop has opened up down our road. It's not just any pizza shop (it's also not an M&S pizza shop) but it is one with a clay pizza oven and delicious ingredients that makes you feel like you're in Italy, not on the Smithdown Road!
As delicious as those doughy delights are, at £10 a pop I cannot be frequenting it. So, the alternative was to curb my craving and make my own! I had a needy puppy constantly at my feet, a few straggly looking vegetables and some leftover homemade pesto (see previous recipe). I quickly ran to the shops, risking demolition of the kitchen from the puppy, and this was the result - so good!
As with my other recipes, you can put whatever you want on top and also as the base. This is purely here to show you how quick, simple and cheap it can be to make your own pizza. This one cost me £2.60 and fed me 3 times.
What I used:
1 pack of ready-rolled puff pastry
1 egg, beaten, or a milk wash for the pastry
My homemade pesto (can use passata/garlic butter/chopped tomatoes)
1 leek, sliced
1 bunch of asparagus
1 mozzarella ball, sliced
Some plum tomatoes, halved
Salt and pepper
1. Turn the oven on to 180C fan. Unroll the pastry onto a baking tray to whatever dimension you'd like, prick the base lightly with a fork and then brush with the beaten egg/milk/vegan spread. I tend to use ends of the pastry and put along the edges to make a raised border.
2. Once the oven is heated, put the pastry in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
3. Whilst the pastry is cooking, heating some oil in a pan and cook the leeks and asparagus or whatever veg you are using, until crispy and cooked.
4. Remove the pastry from the oven. It should look golden and will probably have puffed up slightly! Use the back of a fork or spoon to flatten the centre and then cover the base with whatever you choose; mine was the pesto.
5. Add your ingredients! I layered first with mozzarella, then the leeks, then asparagus and chopped plum tomatoes.
6. Pop back in the oven for 10-12 minutes until everything is bubbling and cooking nicely, without the pastry turning too dark.
7. Take out, slice and serve with some green salad or a fried egg on top!